I am coaching 8 Vineyard pastors. I love to hear the heart of these guys, listening to their dreams, goals and desires. Most of them are doing fairly well. As I spend more and more time with them, in person and on the phone, here's what I realize it takes to make it for the long haul in the ministry …
1. Love the Scriptures. You don't have to be a scholar. You do have to slow down enough to let the Holy Spirit speak to you through God's Word.
2. Investing in others. Giving yourself away is at the center of servant leadership.
3. Taking responsibility seriously. You have to do what you say you'll do.
4. Be self-aware. Have an honest assessment of who are and what you can do. Let other people into your life who can test your reality. The title of one of my favorite books in the last 10 years gets is… "Why you cannot be anything you want to be."
5. Practice leadership. Pray, cast vision, connect, recruit, train, empower and encourage. Do it over and over again. Practice, practice, practice.
Leaders who do those 5 things will stay in the game for a long time.