“Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail.” Luke 22:31
* The you in Jesus’ word to Simon Peter is plural, indicating Satan wanted all the disciples, not just Simon Peter.
* Jesus specifically prayed, “I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one.”
* Don’t be naive. Satan tries to enter a person’s heart. Here are Peter’s word to some early disciples in Acts: But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back for yourself part of the proceeds of the land?” Acts 5:3
* How to pray about this. Jesus already told us: “Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.”
* Therefore, one of the key verses in Lent could not be clearer: “Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.” James 4:7